Monday 30 December 2013

Wenches of Words Guest Post: Dress for Success in 2014...

Dress Has Always Been My Strongest Suit NOT
 by Nancy DiMauro

Something strange happened to me when I turned 40. I became a girl. I was that Tom-boy on the school playground, who when forced to wear a skirt by her mother snuck a pair of shorts under it. After all, I couldn’t play on the monkey bars in a skirt. Now could I?

I didn’t experiment with makeup in high school. I was too busy running off to ride a horse, or three. My standard high school outfit was army surplus camo pants, a black t-shirt and ratty sneakers. Hey, it was the 80s. But I’m sure something in my mother died every day I went out of the house like that.

By law school, I’d learned the benefit of a little black dress and a few good suits. But my style was still a diamond in the rough. That started changing when I turned 40.

Why 40? I’m not sure, but maybe it’s because your forties is a magical decade. After all 42 is the answer to THE question. Sorry. I digress. Anyway, I finally had the money to buy shoes in those department stores where I bought my suits. There seems to be an unfortunate rule in shoe fashion. The more expensive the shoe the more comfortable it is. Spending all day in a set of heels became something to look forward to and not a torture.

Now I that had really cute shoes, I needed better clothes. At 42 (see, I told you that number was the answer to THE question), I hired a professional fashion consultant to take me from well-dressed to stunning and polished. Girlfriend, if you want to take your look from lukewarm to sizzle you need to call Annette Harris and her company, Harris Image Works.

Given the discovery of my inner girl there’s probably little surprise that one of my short stories focused on fashion turned deadly. The idea for Best Dressed and Obsessed (included in the Shots at Redemption collection) came from a computer glitch. I participated in Liberty Hall’s weekly writing prompt. One week a computer error made me receive the word “array” rather than the actual prompt. I hit a blank wall. So, I typed “array” into my word processor and hit the synonym button. The second group of words related to “dress.” I had the first half of a Medea myth retelling by the end of that hour. Best Dressed and Obsessed won an Honorable Mention from the Writers of the Future contest.

And none of it would have happened without the perfect little dress.

To read excerpts from Nancy DiMauro's Musa Publishing books, please click HERE.

Learn more about Nancy DiMauro and her impressive work on her website Falcons Fables and blog. Stay connected on Facebook and Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Nancy. My New Year's resolution will be to find a professional fashion consultant and read more of your awesome books.:)

    ReplyDelete