Sunday 12 March 2023

Guest Post: Having No Regrets by Author Alicia Joseph...

Wrinkles cover her thin-skinned ninety-two-pound body, compliments from her eighty-seven years of living in this, at times, tumultuous world.  But she's as easygoing as they come, mostly unbothered by external noise. 


She's a headstrong, entirely capable, and stubborn woman. I love all of those qualities about her.  She minds her own business and lives the way she wants. She talks to me in her beautiful Irish accent. She was born on a farm in Ireland. She rode a horse to school with a trap in the back where kids hitched rides on the way. She misses the horses. The farm had rabbits and dogs and pigs, but she loved the horses the most. 

A couple years ago, her son privately talked to her doctor to persuade the doctor to tell her she couldn't drive anymore. One day she joined me for a walk with my dog Phil and she had a disgruntled look on her face. I asked what was wrong. 

"I know my son told my doctor to tell me I can't drive anymore. I'm not stupid." She looked up at me with her thin lips pressed bitterly against each other and her short brown hair swaying in the breeze. "But I do what I want. He's not the boss of me." 

Later that day I was sitting on my front lawn with Phil and her garage door opened. Seconds later, a blue van backed out of the garage and down the driveway. She pulled into the street and gave me a wave from behind the wheel as she passed. 

She'd found her keys. She's determined like that. 

Another day I was walking Phil past her house, and she was in the garage pounding out a dent in her car. I asked her what happened. She said she hit something in the garage but had to hurry because her son would be over soon. I asked if she needed help, she answered, "No, just don't tell my son."  

That made me smile. Most everything about that special woman makes me smile. I wish to be more like her. I was down one day and told her about it. She told me she doesn't think about thoughts that bring her down. I imagine that isn't something she just started doing in her later years. I'm sure she lived by that adage even when she was younger and raising six children. She talks of her past without regret or resentment. She had a hardworking husband, (whom she also tells me wasn't the boss of her) but times weren't always easy, especially the early days in Ireland when work was hard to find or when one of her children took their own life. 

None of her pains from the past show on her face now. At least none that I can see, though it doesn't mean it isn't there. She chooses to live as happily as she can. Not many people make that choice. Some live bitterly and filled with anger. When my nieces and nephews were young, they'd come over and play in the street. Naturally, they'd make a lot of noise. She'd always come outside, not to yell about all the racket, but to sit on her front porch and watch the kids play because she loved to hear the sound of children's laughter. 

Margaret lives across the street from me, and she loves to sit at her front window with her cat. No matter how bad of a day I may be having, when I see her face at the window I always smile because she waves at me with such excitement, huge smile and arm waving fast and high, as though she'd been waiting all day to see me. I will miss that when the day comes where she is no longer at the window. Hopefully that won't be for a while.

Margaret came over a couple days ago to tell us she and her son and daughters are going to England but won't be stopping in Ireland. She doesn't have much family there anymore and doesn't want to impose on the ones still there. We sat and got to talking and she shared with me how happy she is that we are neighbors. She went on about how comforting and safe she feels that we are right across the street from her. Margaret doesn't live alone. She has her daughter, and her son stops by almost every day, yet still she appreciates that we are neighbors. 

That meant something to me, and I hope she knows how much I appreciate that we are neighbors, too.

Here is a glimpse into one of my books. I hope you enjoy it. 


“When a train runs over a penny, the penny changes form, but it can still be a penny if I want it to be. Or, I can make it be something else.”

Lyssa and her best friend Abbey discover a hideout near the train tracks and spend the summer before sixth grade hanging out and finding freedom from issues at home. Their childhood innocence shatters when the hideout becomes the scene of a tragic death.

As they’re about to graduate from high school, Abbey’s family life spirals out of control while Lyssa is feeling guilty for deceiving Abbey about her sexuality.

After another tragic loss, Lyssa finds out that a penny on the track is sometimes a huge price to pay for the truth.

AMAZON BUY LINKS




Alicia Joseph grew up in Westchester, Illinois. She has many works-in-progress that she hopes to finish soon. Life permitting.

When she is not writing, Alicia enjoys volunteering with animals, rooting for her favorite sports teams, and playing “awesome aunt” to her nine nieces and nephews.

Learn more about Alicia Joseph on her blog. Stay connected on Facebook and Twitter.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks to you and your neighbor for visiting me in my virtual parlor, Alicia! The wine is chilling, and the car keys are hidden. Wink. Let's get this party started! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting me!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Alicia! Hugs to you and Phil! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marina, and thanks for stopping by! Cheers!

      Delete